Tel Aviv is the most popular city in the Gush Dan metropolitan area of Israel. The Israeli is located on the Mediterranean coast and with a population of 460,613, it is the country’s economic and technological hub. If East Jerusalem is considered part of Israel, Tel Aviv is the second most popular city in the country after Jerusalem; If not, Tel Aviv is the most popular city before West Aviv.
Tel Aviv is operated by the Tel Aviv-Yafo municipality, headed by Mayor Ron Haldai, and home to several foreign embassies. It is an Alpha World city and ranked 25 in the Global Financial Centers Index. Tel Aviv has the third or fourth largest economy and the largest per capita economy in the Middle East. The city has the 31st highest cost of living in the world. Tel Aviv receives more than 2.5 million international visitors annually. A “party capital” in the Middle East, it has a vibrant nightlife and 24-hour culture. Tel Aviv is called The World’s Vegan Food Capital, as it has many vegetarian eateries throughout the city with a per capita population of vegetarian people in the city. Tel Aviv is home to Tel Aviv University, the largest university in the country with over 30,000 students.
The city was founded by the Yishu (Jewish residents) in 1909 as a modern housing estate on the outskirts of the ancient port city of Jaffa, then part of the Mutassarit of Jerusalem within the Ottoman Empire. It was previously called ‘Ahujat Bayit’ (lit. “House Estate” or “Homestead”), the name of the institution that established the neighborhood. It was renamed the following year to ‘Tel Aviv’, followed by the biblical name adopted by Tel Abib Nahum Sokolo as the title for the Hebrew translation of his Theodore Herzl’s 1902 novel Altulananda (“Old New Land”). Other Jewish suburbs of Jaffa, established before Tel Aviv, eventually became part of Tel Aviv, the oldest of them being Nive Tozek (est. 1886). Tel Aviv was granted “township” status within the Jaffa municipality in 1921, and became independent of Jaffa in 1934. After the Palestine War of 1947–1949, Tel Aviv initiated the municipal proclamation of parts of Jaffa, which was fully integrated under the name “Tel” under the name of Jaffa. The name was changed to “Aviv” in April 1950, and “Tel Aviv-Yafo” in August 1950.
BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN TEL-AVIV:–
One of the most atmospheric areas of Tel Aviv, the Yamnite Quarter is filled with street-lengths built by old-style architecture, which has left behind the diversification of the region. It was first inhabited by Yamnite Jews in the early 20th century, and the original spirit of closely packed streets is still very much alive. The surrounding area at Carmel Market – busy, colorful, full of fresh produce, and Tel Aviv’s answer to Jerusalem’s famous Maheen Yehuda Market. If you are hungry in Tel Aviv and want a cheap meal, this is the place to head.
Location: Allenby Street, Central City
Dizengoff Circle And Around
The center of Tel Aviv is this central plaza, with a raised area for pedestrians atop the carriageway on two levels and topped by the quaint modern art Fire and Water Fountain, by Israeli artist Yakao Agam Has been designed. The plaza and the road that closed it were named after Mir Dizengoff, the first mayor of Tel Aviv after seceding from the city. From the circle, Dzingoff Street runs southeast to Habima Square, the cultural center of Tel Aviv, and the Habima Theater, built in 1935. It is also the place where you will find the Helena Rubinstein Pavilion, a masterpiece of Contemporary Art, which hosts an event of temporary art exhibits.
Address: Dizengoff Street, Central City
Tel Aviv Museum Of Art
A prominent light in Israel’s contemporary art scene, the Tel Aviv Museum of Art has the world’s largest collection of art by Degas, Monet, Van Gogh, Henry Moore, Picasso, Jackson Pollock and Israeli artists. A particular highlight is the collection of Eloise Breyer in the early 20th century and the architectural representations of the Ukrainian wooden synagogue, which were all destroyed during World War II. The ultra-modern building, its sophisticated architecture, perfectly exposes the houses and artifacts. Along with the permanent collection, the museum hosts regular temporary exhibits and other events.
Address: 27 Shaul HaMelech Boulevard, Central City
Road Restored In Neve Tedeck Quarter
The cowardly foundation Toszek Quarter is the city’s oldest neighborhood, with European-Jewish settlers building the first homes in the 1880s. These beautiful old buildings are well preserved, and many now house arty boutiques, cafes, and some of the city’s hippest restaurants. Within the Quarter on Rochchak Street, you will find two of its key points: the Rockach House, a small sculpture gallery and the Nachum Gutman Art Museum, which displays the artwork of this Israeli painter. There is an old Ottoman railway station called Otakana in the southwest corner of the district. It has been restored and reopened as a stylish complex rather than a cafe, restaurant and designer boutique.
Location: Central City
Little Balik Street is home to three historic homes that will interest history and culture lovers. Artist Raven Rubin’s home is now a museum dedicated to her work, filled with paintings and vintage photographs of Tel Aviv. Along the road ahead, Balik House used to be the residence of poet Chaim Nachman Balik and is now a tribute to his life and works. Next door is the original town hall of Tel Aviv, now known as Beat Haier. Documents of the history of Tel Aviv are displayed in it.
Location: Central City